Thursday, March 14, 2013

Conquer your time management issue!

If you're anything like me, you pictured your work from  home lifestyle to be just like this...HA! If only, right? It is a lot harder than I thought to work from home, take care of the house, feed the dogs, let them outside, take care of my baby, cook dinner, keep my hubby happy, shower, sleep, etc. Where in the world can I find time to work? 






I don't know about you, but this picture is much more accurate......








So, how do we get from there to......  
Simple - we have to learn to manage our time. 

Tip #1: Establish a schedule. This really helps so that you can outline school times, meals, naps, errands and work. For me, I get most of my work done while my baby is napping, and after my husband goes to bed.

Tip #2: When do you feel MOST productive? Figure out what time of the day you get that burst of energy. Is it in the morning around 10 am? Or maybe right after lunch? Or perhaps you are a night owl? Schedule the most important activities that you MUST get done during that time.

Tip #3: Use a timer. When you sit down to do a task, set the timer. Turn off Facebook, Twitter, Email (aka time suckers) and focus on that one task. Give yourself 15-20 minutes to accomplish and cross that item off your list.

Tip#4: Create a designated area for work and play. This is so important. Find a place in your home where you can create a work place. It could be as simple as a small corner tucked away in your bedroom or maybe one room dedicated to your work. Eliminate distractions.

Tip #5: Use productivity apps. 

  1. Cozi: Manage a shared family calendar, shopping list, to do lists, and family journal while you're on the go.
  2. Milebug: Great way to track your mileage, tolls, and parking.
  3. Wunderlist: A list manager that runs on the web, mobile devices, and on the iPad. You can connect with it anywhere-such a great tool!
  4. Time log: Perfect for anyone who needs to track their time especially when managing a few different clients.
  5. LockBox: Lets you store and protect sensitive info such as credit card numbers, bank accounts, passwords, pin numbers, private notes, and any other secret information.
  6. A Personal Assistant: Access and manage all your online accounts in one place with this free app.
  7. Bump: Great took when you are at a networking event or conference. Quickly exchange contact information by bumping phones.
  8. Intuition: A personal assistant designed by moms for moms to help you get things done.
  9. Drop Box: Lets you share your files with friends, family, colleagues, and bring them with you when you're on the go.
  10. Dragon Dictation: Quickly converts your voice to text. You can use your voice to send emails, write a text, tweet, and so much more. Up to 5x's faster than typing!
Tip #6: Identify daily time wasters; try to eliminate. We all have them. Maybe it's the TV, cell phone, or email. What do you get distracted by? Identify these items and make sure to eliminate them as best as you can.

Tip #7: Make time for the kids. It's so easy when you work from home to always be thinking about deadlines, emails you need to respond to, posts that need to be written, and calls that need to be made. Trying to work with little kids around is not easy-especially if they feel like they are being ignored.

Tip #8: Reward yourself! Mothers have a hard job no matter if you work outside the home, in the home, or do a little of both. We need to stop every once in a while, step back, and realize all that we accomplish in a day. It's pretty incredible if you think about it. We deserve a nice reward every once in a while to help relax and rejuvenate ourselves. It can be simply picking up a book you've been meaning to read, getting a nice pedicure, taking a long hot bath, or maybe buying yourself a new outfit. Whatever it is, don't forget to pamper yourself! Remember, it's impossible to do it all, but with a little planning, organization, and prioritizing; it can help make things more manageable!

Life lesson from my mother: "Tomorrow is another day."

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post so much :) Although I don't use my phone for an organizing tool, however I know that when I'm ready - you already have the tools and led me where to go!

    I love working from home - I look forward to more lessons from your blog!! :)

    Blessings,
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I can help you with some tools online for organization! If you have a gmail account there's a calendar on there and it sends you notifications so you don't forget what you need to do. I put the training calls in there and my chores I need to do and whatever else I need to remember. It sends reminders to my phone as well :)

    ReplyDelete